The International Communication Office of CPC Shanghai Municipal Committee and the Information Office of Shanghai Municipality were established in June 1991. They are responsible for the city's international communication under the administration of the CPC Shanghai Municipal Committee and the Shanghai Municipality. Its main duty is to support domestic and foreign media in the objective and fair report of Shanghai's economic and social development, carry out an active promotion of Shanghai to the outside world, and offer an accurate and objective showcase of Shanghai's city image.
(1) To Introduce and promote Shanghai to the outside world, and organize activities to present Shanghai's economic and social development.
(2) To guide and coordinate the city's news reports for foreign audience, and carry out news reports for foreign audience on the city's major policies, events, activities and conferences.
(3) To formulate and implement the development plan for the city's journalism for international communication.
(4) To guide and coordinate the press release for the city's key institutions and organizations, as well as districts, counties and bureaus.
(5) To take charge of the press release for the municipal government and to organize important news releases for the municipal government.
(6) To work and coordinate with relevant departments to ensure the quality work for journalists from foreign countries as well as Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who travel to Shanghai for press interviews, and provide service for offshore journalists who carry out press interviews in Shanghai.
(7) To organize and coordinate the promotion of Shanghai to the outside world.
(8) To plan and guide the production, display, distribution and presentation of books, audio-video, film and television publications that introduce Shanghai.
(9) To manage and coordinate the city's Internet news release.
(10) To gain a deep understanding of Shanghai-related reports by the global major media as well as the media in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, and deliver an active response to media attention.